Top World News
Hong Kong begins three days of mourning after deadly apartment fires
Families are combing hospitals hoping to find their loved ones as about 200 people still listed as missing, and at least 128 killedAn outpouring of grief was set to sweep Hong Kong on Saturday as an official, three-day mourning period began with a moment of silence for the 128 people killed in one of the city’s deadliest fires.City leader John Lee, along with senior ministers and dozens of top civil servants, stood in silence for three minutes on Saturday morning outside the government headquarters, where the flags of China and Hong Kong were flown at half-mast. Continue reading...
Grateful to be alive, residents who escaped the Hong Kong apartment blaze wonder what comes next
A massive fire in Hong Kong's Tai Po district has become the deadliest in the city's memory, causing 128 deaths with 200 people unaccounted-for
Russian attacks kill 2 in Kyiv as diplomatic efforts to end the war in Ukraine gain momentum
Russian drone and missile attacks on Kyiv killed at least two people and wounded 15 Saturday, officials said, as renewed U.S.-led peace negotiations gathered momentum
An archaeologist is racing to preserve Sudan's heritage as war threatens to erase its cultural past
Archaeologist Shadia Abdrabo is working to create an online database of Sudan's archaeological sites and museum collections
Turkish official says Black Sea tankers may have been hit by mines, missiles or drones
Turkish Transport Minister Abdulkadir Uraloglu says two oil tankers said to be part of Russia’s “shadow fleet” may have been hit by mines, drones or missiles
At least 248 killed in floods, landslides on Indonesia's Sumatra island: Authorities
Rescue workers in Indonesia are struggling to reach victims in several devastated areas that were hit by an earthquake and floods, and authorities fear the confirmed death toll of 248 will rise further
Austria convent standoff: Nuns reject social media 'gag order' from religious superior
A trio of elderly nuns in Austria who fled a care home to return to their longtime convent are at odds with the provost in charge after he demanded they leave social media.
Congo and Rwanda presidents to meet in the US to sign peace deal
Congo’s President Felix Tshisekedi plans to visit the U.S. next week to sign a peace agreement with Rwandan President Paul Kagame
Jacob Zuma’s daughter resigns amid claims South Africans tricked to fight for Russia
Duduzile Zuma-Sambudla quits as MP after being accused of recruiting 17 men who are trapped in war-torn UkraineA daughter of the former South African president Jacob Zuma has resigned as an MP, after being accused of tricking 17 South African men into fighting for Russia in Ukraine by telling them they were travelling to Russia to train as bodyguards for the Zumas’ uMkhonto weSizwe (MK) party.Duduzile Zuma-Sambudla, 43, the most visible and active in politics of her siblings, volunteered to resign and step back from public roles while cooperating with a police investigation and working to bring the men home, the MK chair, Nkosinathi Nhleko, said at a press conference in Durban. Continue reading...
Rescue efforts end at Hong Kong tower block fire as death toll reaches 128
About 200 people still unaccounted for, say officials, as fire chief confirms no alarms went off in any of the eight towersAnger swells in Hong Kong over deadliest fire in more than 70 yearsHow the Hong Kong fire unfolded – visual guideThe death toll from the Hong Kong apartment complex fire that began on Wednesday has risen to 128 with as many as 200 missing, officials have said, as rescue operations were declared over.Firefighters had been combing through the high-rises on Friday, attempting to find anyone alive after the massive fire that spread to seven of eight towers in one of the city’s deadliest blazes. Continue reading...
Georgia marks a year of protests since EU talks stalled and crackdown intensified
Protesters in Tbilisi have marked a year of continuous demonstrations against Georgia's decision to halt EU membership talks
Video shows Israeli forces shooting Palestinians dead moments after surrender
Far-right minister defends killing of two men who appeared to have given themselves up, saying ‘terrorists must die’Video of an Israeli military raid in the West Bank shows soldiers summarily executing two Palestinians they had detained seconds earlier.The shooting on Thursday evening, which was also witnessed by journalists close to the scene, is under justice ministry review, but has already been defended by Israel’s far-right minister Itamar Ben-Gvir, who declared that “terrorists must die”. Continue reading...




