Top World News

ArticleImg

Aug 14, 2026

'Extraordinary' detail about Trump's catering container escape has Iran experts terrified

Iran experts expressed extreme alarm Friday as more information emerged about President Donald Trump's frantic escape from a missile threat in a catering container, according to a Wall Street Journal report on Friday.The ploy to switch planes from Air Force One to another jet amid a threat from Iran has ignited a media firestorm and raised more questions about the current war. As Trump boarded another plane, which was accompanied by jet fighters, it left the press unknowingly vulnerable on Air Force One with Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent."A U.S. official defended the response, noting the daily dangers Trump faces and said the threat revealed by the intelligence was serious enough for the Secret Service to greenlight the decoy plan and send the warplanes," according to The Journal."There are also growing fears about what the maneuver reveals: an administration genuinely concerned that Iran-linked assassins could, even in a friendly nation, endanger Trump," The Journal reported. Holly Dagres, an Iran expert at the think tank the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, described why this Trump administration move was so significant."It’s quite extraordinary that the president had to be smuggled onto a different plane after a NATO summit in a NATO country," Dagres said. "While the Trump administration touts the weakness of the Islamic Republic, its reach remains extensive enough to allegedly try and kill the most heavily protected leader in the world."

ArticleImg

Aug 14, 2026

ICE tells Army wife she's 'famous' before yanking her off deportation flight: report

An Army soldier's wife was pulled off a deportation flight to Brazil this week by federal agents who explained she was "famous," according to reports on Friday.An Associated Press investigation identified Maisa Lopes Eliaser as one of dozens of military spouses and parents who had been detained following the Trump administration's rollback of protections for military families as part of its broader mass deportation efforts, The Boston Globe reported.Eliaser's husband, Staff Sergeant Alexis Jaramillo has served in the Army for 11 years and went public about what happened to his wife, who was ripped from his side during what the couple, their son and translator thought was an adjustment-of-status appointment on July 8 in Montgomery, Alabama.Eliaser was on a deportation flight bound for Brazil Wednesday when ICE officers onboard got a mid-flight call about her case, according to The Globe. An ICE officer offered Eliaser the choice to returning to the U.S. Once the plane landed, other detainees were taken away and Eliaser stayed on and was taken back to Louisiana.ICE officers reportedly told her she had become "famous" because footage related to her case was circulating online. "Who made the call? We don’t know," Jaramillo said. "But someone made the phone call, and then she came back." Jaramillo said he had to take leave from his training duties at Fort Polk, Louisiana, while his wife was in custody. Sen. Mark Kelly (D-AZ), a former Navy officer, had looked into his Eliaser's case, Jaramillo said.Danitza James, who leads Repatriate Our Patriots, an organization that supports military families facing deportation and assisted with Eliaser's case, responded to her release."This family’s reunion is proof of what’s possible when people set politics aside and do right by those who serve," James said. "We won’t stop until every military family facing detention gets the same chance at justice."Although he was told there would be no further issues with his wife's case, Jaramillo is still worried. He said his wife was treated like "an animal" and has been struggling with sleep."It felt like I was in a nightmare," Eliaser said. "I could not believe what was happening until I returned to my house. Day by day, I’m trying to recover from this trauma."

ArticleImg

Aug 14, 2026

Canadian plasma clinics pause collections after deaths of two donors

Grifols, which runs private chain of clinics, to temporarily stop taking donations after new government investigationA chain of private plasma donation clinics in Canada has said it is pausing collections after the deaths of two donors and a new government investigation into potential unsafe practices.Grifols, a Spanish healthcare company which runs 17 clinics in Canada and is the country’s only private clinic for plasma donation, said it informed Health Canada of its decision to temporarily pause collections on Wednesday. Continue reading...

ArticleImg

Aug 14, 2026

Leaked Trump loyalty test demands NATO allies praise him — or lose US protection

A leaked questionnaire shows President Donald Trump's administration has been asking NATO members to demonstrate their loyalty to him before deciding if the U.S. will cut military support for the alliance.Bloomberg News reviewed the document asking whether each country has "been publicly supportive" of U.S. foreign policy, including strikes in the Middle East and the Western Hemisphere that were carried out without NATO consultation. It also asks what "restrictions" allies have placed on American forces using their bases, and whether they'd be "willing to reduce or eliminate any such restrictions.""Allies have balked at the move, seeing it as an attempt to strong-arm them into ideological alignment in exchange for U.S. protection, according to people familiar with the matter who requested anonymity to discuss the private missive," Bloomberg reportedOne question directly invokes Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth's demand that allies stay "strong, clear, and quiet" in alignment with U.S. interests.When the U.S. and Israel launched strikes on Iran without NATO's blessing, several countries, including Spain, barred Washington from using their bases for the operation, a restriction the questionnaire now asks about directly. Similarly, the U.S. raid that captured Venezuelan leader Nicolás Maduro in January, widely viewed in Europe as a violation of international law, appears to be another test case buried in the document's questions about support for American "initiatives" in the Western Hemisphere.The questionnaire probes whether allies are steering defense contracts toward American firms, whether they've publicly opposed "made in Europe" procurement policies, and, if not, whether they'd be willing to speak out. Given a growing European push to build up domestic defense industries, this line of questioning is likely to be especially contentious.The document was leaked amid a six-month Pentagon review of the U.S. military footprint in Europe, expected to wrap up by December, and allies are already bracing for cuts.The U.S. has said it will pull 5,000 troops from Germany, though it separately pledged to send 5,000 additional troops to Poland after a nationalist ally won that country's presidency, an apparent reward for political alignment that adds weight to concerns the loyalty questionnaire isn't an isolated incident.NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte has publicly defended the broader review as reasonable given rising European defense spending, calling it something that is "bringing NATO closer together."But the questionnaire's explicit linkage of military protection to political fealty marks a sharp departure from the alliance's postwar foundation, one built on U.S. guarantees that were meant to hold regardless of individual policy disputes.Allies and NATO officials are expected to discuss the review further at a Brussels meeting later this month.

ArticleImg

Aug 14, 2026

American missionary kidnapped in Niger freed after nine months

Kevin Rideout, who was abducted by unknown assailants in Niamey, said to be in good health and in care of US officialsAn American missionary who was kidnapped in Niger in October has been released, his organisation has said.Serving in Mission International said Kevin Rideout “is in good health in the care of US officials” and would soon be reunited with his extended family. Continue reading...

ArticleImg

Aug 14, 2026

BP to develop offshore gasfield in Venezuela with firms linked to Trump administration

Move will be one of first large-scale foreign investments in country since US ousted leader Nicolás Maduro in JanuaryBP has answered Donald Trump’s call for oil companies to help rebuild Venezuela’s fossil fuel industry with new plans to develop a large offshore gasfield.BP will partner with two oil firms with close links to the Trump administration to develop the second phase of the Loran gasfield, in one of the first large-scale foreign investments in Venezuela since the US ousted its leader Nicolás Maduro in January. Continue reading...

ArticleImg

Aug 13, 2026

Trump's 'exploded' crack problem sends a global crisis spiraling out of control: Krugman

President Donald Trump has a crack problem — and America is paying the cost of it, according to Nobel Prize-winning economist Paul Krugman.Krugman argued on Substack Thursday that Americans are unlikely to see gas prices drop because, as he put it, "Donald Trump is not a well man. He is, unfortunately, also President, which means that we all pay a price for his inability to accept reality."That "reality," according to Krugman, is that Iran has outmaneuvered him and the war is lost.The former New York Times economist argued oil prices are higher than is generally understood because of the difference between the cost of a barrel of crude and that of the products refined from that barrel — or "crack spread." Since the beginning of the war, that crack spread has "exploded," rising by roughly $35 per barrel, Krugman wrote. Refining capacity worldwide has been significantly constrained because much of the world's refining capacity is either trapped inside the Strait or offline as a result of Ukraine's drone campaign against Vladimir Putin, according to Krugman's analysis.Therefore, the shortage of refining capacity has held crude prices down, as buyers are not willing to pay extremely high prices for crude oil they cannot refine, explained the economist.The cutoff of oil shipments through the Strait of Hormuz has required a large rise in global oil prices to ration demand, but much of that rationing has taken place through a rise in "the crack spread" rather than a rise in crude oil prices.For the United States, the implications are immediate, the economist warned. Inflation, which was held down in recent months by falling fuel prices, is set to rise again in upcoming economic data. Gasoline prices have risen back above $4 per gallon, while diesel prices have returned above $5 per gallon.

ArticleImg

Aug 13, 2026

DRC’s fast-growing Ebola outbreak spreads to sixth province

Man dies in Bas-Uele after travelling from Haut-Uele, as head of WHO says outbreak on track to be deadliest everThe Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo has spread to a sixth province, officials have said, a day after the head of the World Health Organization said the outbreak was on track to surpass the deadliest in history, which killed at least 11,000 people more than a decade ago.The current outbreak has killed more than 2,100 people out of more than 4,500 cases, according to the latest government figures released on Tuesday. At the same point in the 2014-16 outbreak in west Africa, the previous most deadly outbreak, 755 cases had been recorded, according to WHO data. Continue reading...

ArticleImg

Aug 13, 2026

CNN reports USS Lincoln sailor went overboard even as Navy denies mental health crisis

A sailor serving on the USS Abraham Lincoln was rescued last month after going overboard into the water, according to a U.S. official.The official confirmed to CNN the sailor was quickly pulled from the water and medically evaluated, although it's not clear whether that service member returned to duty or evacuated from the aircraft carrier.The U.S. Navy ship is currently on the longest aircraft carrier deployment on record, marked by an unusual lack of normal port visits, and service members on board have reported deteriorating living conditions and attempts by despairing sailors to throw themselves overboard. However, the official said the Navy has "not observed an increase in suicidal ideations or attempts aboard the ship," telling CNN "we take every service member's well-being seriously and have religious, medical and mental health professionals available to assess and address concerns as they arise."Sailors typically go through difficult adjustments over a deployment, the official said, and the ship is "not experiencing an uptick in mental health issues."The official noted that resources available to the crew include five chaplains, a psychologist, a clinical social worker, behavioral health technicians, a prevention counselor, and a therapy dog named Captain Fathom.The Navy's account contrasts with new reporting from Military Times, which has documented multiple instances of Abraham Lincoln sailors attempting to go overboard, raising questions about the psychological toll of extended time at sea.If you are having suicidal thoughts, contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 988 for support and assistance from a trained counselor. If you or a loved one are in immediate danger, call 911.

ArticleImg

Aug 13, 2026

'This is insane!' MS NOW host flips out over Pete Hegseth's latest blunder

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth was raked over the coals on Thursday morning amid reports of horrific conditions that his US military forces face. On MS NOW’s “Morning Joe,” co-host Joe Scarborough reacted to reports that the USS Abraham Lincoln has been deployed from San Diego for an extraordinary 200-plus days without a port call.With Democrats calling for an investigation after family members of those deployed revealed things have become so bad that some sailors have had to be stopped from leaping off the ship, Scarborough launched into a withering tirade.“This is the longest deployment on a ship like that ever,” co-host Willie Geist explained. "The Secretary of Defense seemed very interested and obsessed with their testosterone levels, but not whether or not they're getting real food aboard the ship as this war drags on.”Scarborough erupted. “This is insane by any measure at all,” Scarborough exclaimed. “And so think about it: we have this happening on the USS Lincoln. We have our sailors being treated like third-class citizens, treated like trash, actually.”“So we're not taking care of job one, which is, again, military readiness,” he continued. “And secondly, we're not even able to keep count of the munitions that we have; Pete Hegseth, the DoD has run out of munitions to fight a hot war with Iran that Pete Hegseth told the president we should start.”Scarborough continued to insult Hegseth's priorities, snapping, "He's sitting around talking about testosterone levels and doing all these stupid promo videos that are supposed to make him look tough." - YouTube youtu.be

ArticleImg

Aug 13, 2026

Kash Patel vows to carry out 'Russia's bidding in plain sight' in new letter: legal expert

FBI Director Kash Patel pledged to investigate agents who caught Russians trying to frame Democrats before 2020, a new report reveals.According to national security writer Marcy Wheeler, an unsigned, undated letter attributed to Patel is the "centerpiece" of a propaganda push, and she flagged in a Wednesday post on her legal blog emptywheel that it was notably not written on FBI stationery.In the letter, Patel says he "immediately disbanded" the bureau's Foreign Influence Task Force upon taking over as director, and that his team is now probing whether the unit improperly zeroed in on informants tied to the Bidens."We remain concerned that defensive briefings to Congress may have been overly focused on just Biden and Ukraine rather than the balanced picture of all foreign threats," the letter reads.Patel added that although "these alleged activities occurred during a different era within the Bureau," his team is "firmly committed to identifying, investigating, and holding accountable all abuses."The task force is the same unit that flagged efforts by John Solomon and Rudy Giuliani to launder foreign influence operations targeting Joe Biden ahead of the 2020 vote, according to Wheeler. The letter's premise, she wrote, rests on a spreadsheet from Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard that was released by Bill Pulte. It also revives claims from discredited informants, including Alexander Smirnov.The influence campaign lands as Patel prepares for a reported trip to Moscow and St. Petersburg on October 14-15 and just weeks before the midterms.Wheeler mentioned that a Russian outlet with a history of airing material from the FSB, the Russian security service, published a piece that openly speculated this week about Patel receiving kompromat on Democrats and serving as a backchannel to Vladimir Putin."They're just promising to do Russia's bidding in plain sight," Wheeler wrote.

ArticleImg

Aug 13, 2026

Suspicious details of Trump's secret plane swap revealed by Air Force One photographer

A New York Times photographer on Wednesday revealed several suspicious new details in President Donald Trump's plane swap amid a threat.Douglas Mills, a photojournalist who was on Air Force One with the press corps as the group headed back from Turkey after a NATO summit in July with Trump and several administration officials, told CNN's Erin Burnett the incident was "alarming" after learning Trump had left the plane in a catering truck.Burnett mentioned that Mills and other reporters were asked to lower their window shades. And in an interview with reporters after that flight, Trump had commented specifically on window shades."Probably on a dangerous flight because of the sleazebags that we have to deal with, it has to be closed," Trump said. "But if I go, you go, right? Perhaps someday you want to change professions?"Mills said that comment now has a different meaning."In hindsight, I think back on that, wow, if he didn't, why did they just put our shades down and not his shades up in the front of the plane? So that was kind of a red flag to me mentally," Mills said. "I felt like obviously we were a decoy. And in that moment, we didn't know all the facts that we know now."Burnett pointed to the window shades, asking if that was a potential giveaway that something irregular was happening."Maybe that's why they had to put your window shades down, right? Because they didn't want you to see the catering," she said. "That's exactly right," Mills said."By the time we got to the front of the plane, I had taken those pictures of the catering truck on the backside of the plane as we were motoring up," he said. "And I was shooting pictures through the van that we were driving in. And once we got up and looked out and saw the president was already on board, that kind of also said to me something's going on." This foreign visit was atypical, and Trump ditched his usual goodbye."But no, none of that happened this time," Mills said. "He went up the steps and was on there before we ever got out of our cars. It was unusual. And then once we got up on the plane and the shades had to go down, there were just a lot of questions throughout. And now in hindsight, it was one of those things as a reporter, photographer, you know, that we probably should have been asking more questions about because a lot of things didn't fit right."